Monday, August 17, 2009

Six Years














Today is our 6th anniversary.

Six years =
Three pregnancies.
Hopefully two babies.
Three apartments within two brownstones.
Three international trips together.
Almost three graduate degrees combined.
Infinite laughs & many tears.
New family entering.
The acknowledgement that somehow we "grew up" along the the way.

I looked at our wedding photographs last night and they seem to hail from another era. Adam looks like a little boy. I'm thin, tan, and blonde. It's easy to romanticize our lives back then--the freedom we had, the disposable income, the social life, the travel, the space, the quiet time...The list is long.

But this weekend Adam went away with Alexandra and I was left in Brooklyn to write for 50 straight hours. Our one bedroom apartment seemed huge...and quiet...and dark....and sad...and wrong. Just plain wrong.

As much as becoming a family has thrown a curve ball to our relationship, our finances, our senses of self--EVERYTHING, I wouldn't trade it for anything--not the possibility of being kinda hot, not the promise of beaucoup cash and no college debt, not the potential to own my own living space, not for all the free time in the world. I'd rather be schwarmy, broke, renting forever, and smothered with baby love and whining as long as I'm with Adam and Alexandra and this new baby.

And that's the truth.

I love you, honey. So much. Happy 6th anniversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment