Monday, August 3, 2009

Let me sell you my used crap for retail value!

Since I am home "writing my dissertation" and have a 2 year old and am pregnant with #2, I spend a decent amount of time trolling the classifieds of Park Slope Parents, the listserv that serves my neighborhood and a large swath of Bklyn. On this listserv, folks post things that they are ISO or trying to unload, name a price, and oftentimes are successful in selling the baby/kids/home-related products they are done using. It's quite beautiful when it works--it saves items from going into a landfill, you get to make a few bucks, and the stuff that was taking up so much space in your tiny apartment is magically removed and usually given to another sweet family. I have genuinely enjoyed meeting all the folks who have come to pick up our stuff.

But lately the classifieds have been killing me. Folks just don't get the concept of "used" and/or they're greedy, broke, or just plain stupid. Let me give you some examples:

Phil & Teds doubles stroller for sale
: new price $900 (with all accoutrements), selling for $750. What's wrong with this post? Well, duh, your stroller is USED. That means there's Cheerio dust, baby barf, drool, possibly poop, and general wear and tear on it. I don't care if you "only" used it 10 months. Ten months of stroller use must be multiplied by ten in Brooklyn, where most of us depend on our strollers for everyday survival. Why on earth would I buy your used stroller for only $150 less than a brand spanking new stroller? Seriously, guys. Get over yourself.

Boob nursing top:
new price $60, and let me quote here, "will accept $50." Oh, really? You "will accept" $50? Claims never to have worn it. STILL! Even if you're not lying, you effed up, bought a way expensive nursing top, and then you didn't wear it. And now you want close to retail value for it? HA. Again, get over yourself. I just posted a Boob nursing dress, retail $80, worn twice, for $20. SOLD in a skinny minute.

Design Within Reach couch
: new price $1800, for sale for $1200. Again, dudes, you bought a wildly expensive couch BEFORE you had kids and now you can't fit it into your apartment? What were you thinking? Sell that shizz as fast as possible, give yourself a slap on the wrist, and go get that baby swing and bouncy seat that will suck up space in your apartment like a black hole.

So lately, instead of reading Park Slope Parents for actual shopping, I just read it to make fun of people. I know we're in a recession and everyone needs an extra buck, but pawning off your used items for anything more than 50% of original retail value is just plain ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment