Friday, August 7, 2009

John Hughes: the man, not the movie


I wanted to write something about John Hughes today, about how seeing boobs in "Sixteen Candles" made me excited to have some one day, how I have shown "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" on many a field trip to urban kids who have never seen the movie but then ADORE it (who doesn't love a story of skipping school, dysfunctional families, and overzealous school administrators?), etc....

But then my friend Mary posted this girl's blog post on Facebook and I read it and got teary.

Quite a glimpse of John Hughes the man instead of John Hughes the brilliant movie-making machine that defined my generation. This post is additionally a tribute to the now somewhat lost art of letter writing and how letters simply resonate in a way emails/tweets/blogs just can't. Beautiful.

Thanks for sharing your story with us, Alison.

No comments:

Post a Comment