Sunday, August 9, 2009

Meat in your Mouth


One of the best things about having Alexandra was befriending Amy & James. I'm not even sure of the chronology of our meeting, but Amy and I did pre-natal yoga together, then we met them again at a breastfeeding class at RealBirth, and then we ran into them at a baby store in the 'hood, and then at the now extinct Virgin Megastore at Union Squre...Soon it became obvious we should be friends.

Our first year as parents we spent a lot of time at their apt, Amy & I nursing, eventually the kids kinda playing, and James cooking. James' cooking is like a gift from God--it's better than any restaurant I have ever eaten in and his specialty is meat. Everything he makes is good, but whenever James roasts or grills a piece of meat it is unbelievable.

This weekend was no exception. We took the train up to Rhinebeck and to hang out and catch up. Somehow, with the advent of our kids turning 2, we haven't found much time this summer to get together.

Dinner last night...amazing. James made lamb on the grill with some sort of mint pesto rubbed into it, along with grilled figs, squash, corn...It was all delicious, but the lamb...Heaven. For someone who hasn't liked meat this pregnancy, I certainly put away a lot of lamb last night.

This post is a shout out to James-the-meat-roaster. We joked that if I were to write a eulogy for him, I'd quote the BBQ caterer's truck from my friends Brenda and Evan's rehearsal dinner in Baltimore (photo above): "James Luria--his meat tastes good in your mouth."

No comments:

Post a Comment