Friday, July 24, 2009

Kathleen Lewis



Kathleen Lewis, a Brooklynite and beauty-product maker extraordinaire, passed away yesterday with her husband and her daughter by her side.

I had met Kathleen at a goodesign roof party, but more than meeting her, I am OBSESSED with her Stiff and Sore Muscle Massage Cream and have been for years. I buy it at my local athletic store, Jackrabbit, and push it like a vigilant drug dealer to any and everyone for athletic soreness, pregnancy ailments, and overall bodily woes. I want to dive into and live in Stiff and Sore Massage Cream. I met Kathleen's daughter one summer when she was working at Jackrabbit and was jealous that she had a mom who made such great product and a dad with whom she did Ironman Triathlons. Obviously daughter and dad got to be Kathleen's guinea pigs for this magical cream b/c it's incredible. Kathleen handmade all her products in her studio in Dumbo, Brooklyn. Awesome.

As much as I respected Kathleen and her business, she was also a truly compassionate woman to my friend, Kat, after she had her son. While everyone showered Kat with an inordinate amount of presents, all of us still reeling from the death of Kat's husband and our good friend Eric, Kathleen came over and gave Kat her time. She watched the baby so Kat could workout, go shopping, get a pedicure...I remember being astounded by that gift. So simple but so thoughtful and necessary at the time. And I love anyone who loves my friends.

Kathleen was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor this past winter and was told the worst news that can be given a living being--news we all know will happen but we deny it's looming destiny nonetheless--that she had a very limited time to live.

I wish Kathleen's family peace as they embark on their lives without her. I feel especially for her daughter, since I lost my dad in my early twenties and feel my life is clearly defined pre- and post-dad. Kathleen was a good, strong woman and her energy and creativity will be missed by many close to her and those of us who just knew of her. We should all hope to leave the world with such positivity behind us.

1 comment: