Friday, July 31, 2009

Joy & Pain



I am totally stealing this from my new favorite blog, FIPS (Fucked in Park Slope), so I must give credit where credit is due.

"Joy & Pain" is one of my favorite songs from high school. It reminds me of early high school when I was a cheerleader (9th & 10th grade) and how the JV cheerleaders cheered for the girls basketball team. We could ride the bus with them (no fear of hot lesbian trysts on the bus, I guess) and on the way back from games we'd listen to music. "Joy & Pain" and "It Takes Two" are the two songs that stand out to me. Robyn, Heidi, and I would sit in the back of the bus and sing different parts of the song. Robyn and Heidi were on the basketball team, and I got major cool points because they didn't think I was some perky cheerleader airhead. In fact, I remember someone else from the team telling me how surprised she was that I wasn't an idiot. Thanks!

Heidi died less than a year later in a car accident driving to school but singing "Joy & Pain" always reminds me of her. I'm sure she'd love this video. And that girl freaking out on her boy reminds me of high school drama all over again. Does it ever end?

No comments:

Post a Comment