Saturday, July 31, 2010

Pushing Art


The lovely old school Brooklyn Jewish lady who was our principal's secretary informed me that when you push a baby out of your vag that your husband then has to get you a pushing present. She showed me every piece of jewelry on her hands/wrists/neck and said, "This was baby #1, this was baby #2, this was baby #3" and so on. I wasn't too sure about that, but then I pushed out Alexandra and her 10lbs of huge baby body out and said, "Hell, yeah. Get me a pushing present."

For Alexandra I got pearls (stud earrings and single strand necklace). You can't imagine the jokes that Adam made for weeks about giving me a pearl necklace (get it?), but he finally got over his hilarity and got the goods. I hope to pass the pearls down to Alexandra one day. But with Nico, I have been at a loss. And then I decided: I want a piece of art that Nico can have one day.

After racking my brain, I cyber-stalked an old college friend Casey Burns who made the most amazing rock concert posters for the Cat's Cradle (Chapel Hill's musical epicenter, for those not in the know), and I was thrown to find him still making posters and fully employed by his work. Amazing! He beyond talented, and his stuff is beautiful but kinda macho, too. It reminds me of loud music, and sweaty packed concerts, and hot bass players, and beer breath, and all that testosterone-y stuff that I like about men and loved about undergrad concert going.

And, if I can get a print/poster for my sweet Nico, maybe one day he will grow up and be a rock star or a bad ass artist (or both!) all b/c a Casey Burns print hung over his crib. That'd be pretty cool.

(Spoon poster of of Casey's off his website. Gorgeous, no?)

No comments:

Post a Comment