Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thankful Deux


Last year I took on the challenge from another bloggess to make list of six unimportant things that I was thankful for in the advent of the Thanksgiving holiday. While those six things still rock my world, I felt the need to take on the challenge once again to find six more things that I am thankful for because--hopefully--it goes without saying that I am immensely grateful to the universe for my beautiful kids, my loving husband, my health, my kick-ass friends, and dysfunctional yet wonderful family. Ya know?

So here are six things that I could live without, but I'm thankful I don't have to (not in order of importance):

1. Parsley Plus Cleaner: Years ago my friend Hagar was using this in her apartment and I was thrown by how delicious it smelled; I have had it in the house ever since. Use it on counters, tables, high chairs, the floor after my 2 yo has a pee accident...YUM. It makes the whole place smell like sweet parsley and, of course, it's organic and yada yada yada. Thankful that it can make my apt feel clean in one minute.

2. Parenting Listservs/Classifieds: Our nabe is known for it's huge group, Park Slope Parents, and I have benefited immensely from the classifieds (both selling and retrieving) and the Digest (where parents post ?s from serious to the ridiculous). As much as these networks are ridiculed, a few weeks ago a mom who was literally suicidal posted anonymously that she was scared and needed help, and the community reached out to her, watched her kids, got her help, food, etc. It's not all about stroller selling or questioning when you can tell another kid to shut up...There's some real community there. I'm thankful for that.

3. Dansko Clogs: Even though my students tell me that they make me look "retarded," like shoes that kids who have "deformities" wear, I could not teach were it not for my Danskos. Ugly, yes, but necessary when you stand all day long, walk a mile to pick your toddler up from daycare, and then walk another mile home. Sarah Jessica Parker only wore heels 24/7 b/c she took cabs everywhere. Not realistic in my world.

4. Kiehl's Coriander Essence Oil: Who'd of thought that coriander could smell so lovely? I adore this fragrance, and they just redesigned their bottles so it's a cute little roller bottle like from when we were little. And they're cheap! I put a little on my wrists and neck before leaving the house to cover the smell of rancid breastmilk and baby barf. Works for me.

5. Trumpette Baby Socks: Dear Trumpette folks: Your socks are way too expensive, but they are the only ones that stay on. How do you do that? Why haven't others figured that out? And your socks are too cute for words. Nico is currently wearing gray cloud socks and they make me cry, they're so precious. Love them!

6. Washer/Dryer in my Apartment: I had a dream that our apt was broken into and all they stole was our washer/dryer and I was hysterical. How anyone with two kids doesn't have one in their apt. is beyond me. I caress the stacked machines as I walk past. They save my sanity (and keep my obsessive/compulsive cleanliness under control!).

There you have it. I"m sure once I post this I'll come up better things I'm more thankful for, but those are the first that come to mind. Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

  1. love this - I'm gonna do it too!
    happy thanksgiving :)
    enjoy your beautiful family.
    love,
    b

    ReplyDelete
  2. I purchased my first pair of Dansko a little under 2 months ago at the urging of my orthopedic doctor. I've been suffering with some ankle and foot issues for about 18 months now and she said that Dansko were a must since by the end of the day I was weeping in pain. I resisted purchasing them for a long while as I too, thought they were about the ugliest shoes around that make my feet look like potatos. After two months, I am a convert.

    Long live the DANSKO!!

    Alex in NC

    ReplyDelete