Monday, November 24, 2008

Thankful

Our beloved doula, Jocelyn, made a post like this a few days ago, sparked by another blogess' post, from another's, etc, and I am following her lead. It seems like an appropriate post pre-Thanksgiving.

The gist is to figure out six unimportant things that make you happy and/or--in light of the approaching holiday--that you are thankful for. The word unimportant is the tricky part here. I have had a hard time coming up with my list, b/c all the first ideas are obviously the things that are important...but here is my attempt:

1. Coffee: I know, I know, what 30-something newish mom doesn't love her coffee? My day begins the moment I get my cup at Colson on my way to school. But coffee also has a lot of memories for me. My dad used to drink coffee (granted, it was instant, but still); it can conjure up nostalgia for my childhood and my dad's breath of coffee and cigarettes. I started my coffee habit senior year in high school when a group of us cool kids would hit Cup-a-Joe on Hillsborough Street in Raleigh and hang out, smoking cigarettes and critiquing music, books,and who knows what. I am a hunter/gatherer of coffee: espresso from a vending machine on campus in France, cafe au lait in iced bottles in Japan, cafe americana across the street from my flat in London, instant Nescafe savored in India. It's more than just a morning buzz for me; it's a narrative of my life.

2. Mascara & various forms of chapstick/lipcare/lipgloss: One day I am really going to learn how to put on a palette of makeup, but all I have managed to gain control over in my 34 years of life is mascara and various lip products. These two lifesavers liberate me. Even if I am covered in toddler vomit, if I put on some good mascara and a light coat of tinted lip gloss, I feel ready to face the world (or at least the video store and the Korean grocery).

3. My new Italian Boots: Confessions of a consumerita: I bought $300 Italian brown boots during the recession. Let me explain! My foot is very unique. I am a 10.5/11 narrow. WTF? It is my crucible in life. It seems shoe companies agree that if your foot is that long you are obviously Andre the Giant and it must be equally as fat. Sigh. Before pregnancy, I was a solid 10. After baby, my feet changed and never went back. I had to get rid of my ENTIRE SHOE COLLECTION (insert trauma here). When I tried on these babies at a new store in my 'hood, I couldn't resist. I belabored the decision, but in the end they went on the credit card and I am putting part of my weekly allowance aside to pay them back. So. Worth. It. They make me so happy and fit perfectly.

4. NPR: I can't even list all the NPR I listen to because I can't keep track. It's sick. It makes me feel connected and smart and like I am around intelligent adults when Alexandra is throwing a tantrum in the other room. Yes, I give money to it, too. But I wish I didn't so that Ira Glass would personally call me to chide me for cheapness. My listening skills have improved hundred-fold since this addiction kicked in. Tonight I listened to a show on the Tibet/China issue. I learned so much. Seriously.

5. Public Transportation: I guess many of you might argue that this is an important thing, and it is, but I know that many folks don't have it and it doesn't bother them. The thing is, it is seen as unimportant and unnecessary in many places which is why it went on this list. I sold my car when I moved to NYC in 1999 and am disgustingly proud to say that I have not and have no plans to ever own another car as long as I am in NY (and I'd like to stay here forever, universe willing). I shun SUV folks, support higher gas prices, rally for tolls/fines to enter Manhattan...I am unabashedly self-righteous when it comes to cars in the city and car overuse everywhere. Call me a Republican of anti-car ideology. I am all about what serves me, and since I don't have a car, I want to tax the hell out of you! But seriously, my zeal really is rooted in the environmental argument behind foreign oil, etc, that I support here. Therefore, public transportation makes me happy. Even when it's stinky, or hot, or crowded, or late, or all four.

6. Blogs: I started reading blogs when I had my miscarriage and they gave me more comfort than almost any real life person. Since then I have become an avid blogger and have found a new and inspired love for writing out my random thoughts--something I normally only do when traveling b/c who has the time to keep a journal amid work, life, school? I read many blogs of wonderful people that, in some strange post-postmodern way, I feel more connected to humanity via this virtual reality. I wish all my friends had blogs so I could know what's on their mind, from the silly to the serious. Start one! It's easy and surprisingly satisfying.

With that, all my bloggers whom I read, try this exercise.

Happy Thanksgiving.

3 comments:

  1. This is great. I will try it when I'm not cross-eyed with exhaustion.

    When we swap houses, we can also trade shoes. I'm a 10.5 (though I'm normal width, not skinny)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. shut up! i can't believe it. i look forward to literally walking in your shoes ;) enjoy thanksgiving. hug julia when you see her next from me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm thankful for your blog, lori! always entertaining and inspiring. happy thanksgiving! hugs, sara

    ReplyDelete