Monday, October 12, 2009

Tarantula


Alexandra is in daycare right now where she produces massive amounts of art projects, letter and number coloring worksheets, and just coloring overall. This is one that was sent home.

I look at all her work, but when I saw this one I had a moment in which I was like, "WTF?" Tarantula? What kind of coloring book is this? And who's this dude with a tarantula on his shoulder? He looks like some child-toucher who should be driving a van with a circle-shaped window in the back. CREEPY!

And then I remembered one the pets of my very first childhood friends, Chris Buddie. He lived across the street from me in Fox Lee, and he had a cornucopia of little boy animals (alive and dead) at his house such as a turtle who lived in a built wooden box in his backyard, fish, a ton of frogs and snakes in jars (like a science lab)on shelves in his room, and most frightening of all, a pet tarantula. I remember going over to his house to play and being terrified of that tarantula. Once it got out and I was convinced it was strolling across the cul de sac to get me.

I had a nightmare of that same childhood tarantula a few weeks ago, and when Alexandra brought this home from daycare it caused me to recall that dream. Then I realized that I have been dreaming, repeatedly, of that same tarantula for my whole friggin' life! I have ALWAYS had a recurring tarantula nightmare as long as I can remember, and the only reason why goes right back to Chris Buddie.

Chris Buddie grew up to be one of the nicest guys you'll ever know, and he now has a son. I wonder if they'll have a pet tarantula? And if that tarantula will psychologically scar one of his son's first friends for life? Keep me posted, Chris. I might be on to something here...

4 comments:

  1. it's jack hannah!!!
    xo, lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. and who's jack hannah? i'll google him...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i obviously spend a lot of time in zoos! google and the tarantula will make more sense :)

    p.s. it's actually "hanna".
    p.p.s. i want to meet the little ones!!!

    lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there - Chris's wife here. I can assure you that there will be NO Tarantula in this house. I will admit, Riley (daughter) asks for Tarantula sauce from time to time (Ranch dressing) but that is about as close as we will get. I think we owe you some $$ for childhood memory therapy eh? ;) Love the post.
    Caryn B

    ReplyDelete