Tuesday, September 29, 2009

smell association

I have a superb sense of smell. I like to think this big nose has some benefit, and perhaps that is my bloodhound ability to pick up random smells constantly. I still remember being on the bus going to a track meet in 10th grade, when all of a sudden I noted, "It smells like lettuce!" Amid a packed bus of teen girls, replete with the smells of hairspray, perfume, deodorant, and body odor, I managed to sniff out Jenny Andros's peanut butter and lettuce sandwich that she was eating a whole bus behind me. That's talent.

Today on the train (Nico's first subway ride to Target!), I was standing next to a woman who had soaked herself in Elizabeth Arden's Sunflowers perfume and was immediately transported back to my sophomore year at UNC's roommate Hilary, who would heavily spray on that perfume before class each day, waking me up to its fragrance. Then I started thinking of scents and people and how certain scents will always remind me of certain people. Being a list-lover, I made a mental list:

Beautiful by Estee Lauder: my mom's signature scent as I was growing up

English Leather/Old Spice: my dad had these on his dresser and rarely used them, but they remind me of his smell when he'd dress up for something. and i remember the big wooden top to the English Leather bottle.

Farenheit colonge: my high school boyfriend, Trey, wore this and can you believe it's still worn by a lot of men today? I mean a lot. I must smell it once weekly. Each time I smell it on the train, I think of tall, skinny teen Trey and laugh a little at him putting it on in an attempt to impress me and the world at large. Giggle giggle.

CK One: my signature smell most of undergrad. I thought sexual ambiguity was so hot.

Irish Spring/Pert Plus: the smells of my college boyfriend, Chris. I still love a person who smells clearly of soap and cleanliness. I think soap is the most attractive scent ever. I also still don't get combo shampoo/conditioners. Icky.

Eternity by Calvin Klein: my friend Erin wore this for a while in high school and early college and the clean smell of it always reminds me of her as well as of white sheets. Advertisements work. Those Calvin Klein print ads from the early 90s (the black & white photos) were beautiful.

Right Guard deodorant: I love the smell of my husband's armpits and often snuggle into them. I know it's mostly his pheromones (because I like them a little stinky), but I think this deodorant helps. The mixture of his smell and deodorant = Yum.

Burt's Bees Baby Bee: this peachy sweet smell now reminds me of my baby girl. Just like Mustella baby products remind of of Kat's baby boy, Luca.

Lavender: my friend Lisa always smells like lavender. I have tried to emulate this (b/c I love lavender), but I don't think I have succeeded. I like to think Lisa's ability to hold a lavender smell stem from her hippie days of following Phish. At least she doesn't smell like patchouli. I am not a big fan of that smell.

I'll spare you the food smell associations with various travel countries and seasons and cities, but my list could go on and on and on....I wonder if anyone associates a smell with me? I hope it's a decent one.

No comments:

Post a Comment