Friday, March 5, 2010

Calling Parents

Adam took today off to write a eulogy for Grandpop, therefore he picked up the kids and I was able to work late. This is the first time I have done this all year and it was awesome. I guess most folks wouldn't consider working until 5:30 on a Friday their idea of a good time, but damn, I was able to get so much work done it was like I was moving at superhuman pace. Wow.

One thing I have a hard time doing is calling parents. We have been forewarned about letting the kids have our cell phone numbers--next thing you know a kid texts you a picture of them in their panties and you're getting framed for having intimate relations with them. And shoot, daytime cell phone minutes are expensive. I have three periods off a day, but two of them I pump breastmilk and that leaves one to do work, copies, talk with the guidance counselors about kids, etc. By the time I get the kids to bed at night, eat, and clean up to work it's around 10--too late to call home. With these factors, I'm not the best at calling.

So today I called parents. I learned a lot, and it was heartbreaking. Here's a few examples why:

1. Call #1: Student's grandmother had called asking for an update. I called her back. She's taking care of said student, his twin brother, their 18 yo brother, and a 10 year old sister b/c their mother died two years ago. This is the FOURTH 9th grade student of mine who has lost a mother in the past two years. She also has three other kids from someone else. She is overwhelmed. She tells me she's giving my student's twin brother over to the city (foster care, group home) b/c she's "lost him to the streets and ain't nothing you can do once that happens." She was trying to decide what to do about my student--should she give him up too? She asks my opinion. Man.

2. Call #2: Nice student, good skills and sweet as anything, but always late to 1st period. Tell her mom and her mom says, "We just moved to a shelter in the Bronx, it's a long ride." I say, "Oh, I didn't know, I'm so sorry, I had heard student lived near 14th Street in the City." She says, "We were moved to another shelter so now she has to commute." This girl commutes two hours each way to our high school. From a shelter and goes "home" to a shelter. Ugh.

3. Call #3: Student who's mom died unexpectedly while I was on maternity leave. Call his sister to give her an update, sister with custody isn't home, talk to other sister who says they're having a hard time with student and aren't sure what to do with him. They are trying to get dad to take him/keep him, but his dad doesn't want him. Sisters are at a loss. Insert heart breaking here.

I made about 20 calls, and many were just plain fine, but those resonate in me tonight as I sit on my couch.

3 comments:

  1. You have one tough job. I admire you and all the hard work and heart that you put into it. The world needs more people like you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm just in awe that you do what you do. these kids are so blessed to have you ... my heart breaks for them. i'll be saying some extra prayers tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. being a mom has made my job much harder b/c i ache for the kids in a way i never have before, you know? i just want to take them all home and love on them and bake them cookies. sigh.

    ReplyDelete