Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Baby Boy

Yesterday we had our 20 week ultrasound--the big anatomy scan that takes hours. All was "beautiful" and "perfect" as our excellent sonographer Dr. Margano reported (I swear, I love that man almost enough to have another kid just so I can go see him some more). But, for reasons I can't explain, I was thrown by that little fella inside me.

I guess I expected to see Alexandra in there...I know, that is totally ridiculous as Alexandra is now a 22 month old ball of fire and life and runs (not walks) around our apartment, creating complex fantasy worlds with her dishtowels, lions, koala, and the squirrels in the yard. But when I saw this little guy's face, I was kinda like, "Wait! Who....are.....you?!"

Then I realized that he is a WHOLE NEW PERSON inside me. Not only different b/c he has a penis, but a totally separate being from Alexandra...he'll look different, act differently, and be himself--not her. We will have a separate and new and wonderful baby boy in September to add to our family, not just another mini-male version of Alexandra.

Wow. I know that seems like a ridiculous thing to realize half-way through this pregnancy, but it honestly just hit me.

2 comments:

  1. So cool! It is an AMAZING thing you are growing in your belly, and the fact that you've already had one doesn't change that. In some ways it is a more surreal experience, since you think you already know what your baby looks like. But look! You're making a whole new one!

    Julia's little boy was born safe and sound this morning. Welcome Grayson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much for the update--i've been waiting and was trying not to start worrying! yay! i can't believe i'll get to see him when he's so tiny! see you soon! xo.

    ReplyDelete