Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Orgasmic Birth

On Mother's Day I had a stoop sale. Selling tons of crap you've decided to purge from your apartment might not be some women's idea of a great time, but I was so anxious to get the stuff out of our space, the day was beautiful, and the whole experience was surprisingly fun. I loved chatting up the neighborhood folks, meeting new people, and I had several great friends who just stopped by to keep me company (in addition to my sweet baby girl and hubby). It was my recession stoop sale--everything's $1--and I made $180! Woot! Pretty much the exact amount I spent on maternity clothes last week.

But my favorite customer was the woman who rode up on her bike and as she perused my books started asking when I was due, was this my first or second baby, etc. When I told her this was my second, she forewarned me that she had her second on her kitchen floor b/c she had no idea she was so close to giving birth, but when she reached down and felt the baby's head crowning she knew it was too late to get to the hospital. Husband delivered baby on kitchen floor.

This woman and I had the EXACT same first labor: all back labor, agonizing pain, retained placenta, etc. Since her second labor was regular labor (not back labor) she had no idea she was so close to giving birth when it happened b/c the pain was so much less intense. Hence the unexpected home birth.

But then came the climax (pun intended) of her story when she looked me in the eye and said, "And when the baby came out, I had the biggest and most earth-shattering orgasm of my life." My jaw dropped. My friends, Bethany and Maddy, were silent. She went on to explain that she tells this to all the pregnant women she meets b/c she wants them to know it CAN happen. But, as amazing as it sounds, she also admitted with a smirk that nothing has quite compared since.

I have heard a bit about orgasmic birth, and I always pictured it being some crazy hippie woman in a tub in her bedroom with incense burning and chanting music in the background with candlelight and maybe a small bit of marijuana involved (or other drugs). To know that this plain, normal Park Slope mom had an orgasmic birth in her kitchen, even while terrified that she was birthing in her kitchen, well....it makes it seem more normal or possible or real...

I'll keep y'all posted if, come September, I join the ranks of orgasmic birth women b/c my first birth experience was about 180 degrees from orgasmic, that's for sure.

Here's to hoping!

9 comments:

  1. OMG, how is it I've never heard of this before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. they even had it covered on 60 minutes a few months ago!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was the woman you spoke with a redhead? My yoga teacher had her second baby in her kitchen and I'm wondering how many Brooklyn moms have experienced that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. dude. first comes poop. then comes the baby. then you come. *shakes head*

    ReplyDelete
  5. nope, not a redhead...and the numbers increase!

    james--you are too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sadly, no orgasmic experience here (at least of the birth variety :)), but i will agree that the second birth goes at warp speed compared to the first. we barely made it to the hospital in time for baby #2. be ready!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know...first baby was 43 hours of labor, second was 36. Trending down but certainly not quick. And no big O that I am aware of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Check out the DVD called "Orgasmic Birth" and it will change your life! It's so awesome...and our public library showed it a few months ago! It's available on Amazon I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kind of makes me want to get pregnant again...

    ReplyDelete