Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Free Free, Set Her Free



I have let my indoor cat go outside after seven years of capitivity.

Maybe it's the fact that she's been barfing and whining all over the apt, or the fact that my toddler can't help but smother her with hugs, cover her with dishrags, or pull her tail, but the cat has seemed listless and annoying lately. I have tried to pawn her off on many a friend, especially since the advent of Baby #2's approach, but there are no takers. We are stuck with her.

Xena, the Warrior Princess, was my good friend Julia's cat whom I offered to babysit right after I moved to NYC almost ten years ago while Julia moved herself from NC to NM, got settled and situated, etc. During these months, Xena became my child and Julia, being ever-so-wise, saw this and let me keep the Warrior Princess. But once I had a child the cat went by the wayside. I forget to feed her, she doesn't get pet much...it's a sad state of affairs and I feel responsible.

So, when the weather turned pretty and the green yard called, I figured, "What the hell..." I dug out her collar and opened the screen door to the great wide yonder.

It's been pretty fun to watch her sleep in the sun, explore the yard, disappear next door and come running back when a feral cat chases her pathetic indoor cat-behind...I mean, she's already 13...what does she have to lose at this point?

I swear, she's a new cat, too. She's not as whiny, she's got some new sass--it's like kitty botox or a kitty spa treatment. Xena's got her groove back, ladies and gentlemen. Just wanted to let you know.

*not a photo of Xena, but if she could, I bet she would give me the kitty finger

No comments:

Post a Comment