Thursday, August 19, 2010

Teenage Dream

My high school boyfriend, Trey, used to make fun of my propensity to determine a successful pop song. Give me any newly released album and I'll inevitably be drawn to the most unoriginal, peppy song that will be loved by the masses. It was true then, and I still love me a good pop song.

Which was why I wasn't surprised but still kinda embarassed when I caught Katy Perry's new song "Teenage Dream" and the video while watching VH1 on the elliptical machine yesterday morning. I watched the video longingly, like it was my past life (Ha--I wish!), but there is something about it that draws me back to my younger years that I tend to over-romanticize in my head.

Maybe it's just me trying to ignore the fact that I have spent another summer mostly staring at my computer (3rd in a row), writing a dissertation, wearing my underwear inside out half the time, and am currently wearing two different flip flops b/c I am too lazy to find the mate to either one. Wishful dreaming of a mythical youth long past...Don't know. But I felt justified when New York Magazine's Approval Matrix (I freakin' love the Approval Matrix) referenced the Katy Perry video as "nostalgic, oddly moving." See! I'm not alone here.

Can't embed the video, so click here to watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment