Thursday, August 26, 2010

R.I.P. Miriam Perez


While I loathe all the teaching metaphors that relate to war (the trenches, the battleground, educational ground zero, the troops, etc.), there is something about teaching together that makes people close. The emotional job of teaching is exhausting. We literally raise these students while trying to get them to learn to read, write, and become life long learners; we encourage them to say please/thank you, not to scream "F*ck you" whenever they feel like it, and to have positive and respectful relationships with one another. Anyone who is a parent knows how difficult these goals are with your own children. Now multiply that by 150, subtract the fact that you do have some parental power & unconditional love with your own children, and that equals teaching.

With this in mind, teaching brings people together. I have cried, laughed, listened, talked, whined, worried, and gotten pissed (as in mad and drunk!)with my coworkers. We laugh when our principal says we're family, but we are. I have worked there for NINE years. My coworkers have guided me through engagement, marriage, miscarriage, masters work, doctorate work, the pregnancies and births of my two children, the death of a very close friend, marital conflicts, family issues, and many an existential crisis. I love them dearly--they truly are my family on so many levels.


(my coworkers: (L to R) Causha Vann-Innis, Miriam Perez, Mr. Cuthbert our principal, Akua Henderson-Brown--all these ladies are kick ass English teachers at Cobble Hill)

Which is why I couldn't catch my breath when Thai (whom I have worked with since she was a wee student teacher at our school) called me yesterday afternoon to tell me of the passing of Miriam Perez. Literally. My heart was racing--it was as if my brain could not process the information. I stood in front of Nico's daycare stunned.

Miriam and I have worked together for a long time; I can't remember my life at school without her. She had a dazzling smile, a love for poetry and poetry slams, documentary films (and made awesome Brooklyn tshirts!) and a hearty laugh that could warm a room. Over the years we had gotten closer and my gregarious self began to understand Miriam's more reserved personality. We began to laugh together, share stories of kids and our students, and be friends. I'll miss her presence in 212, our Humanities Teacher's Lounge. I can picture her there so clearly: at the end of the table, eating her healthy lunch and wearing her copper hoop earrings, maybe with her ipod on, trying to catch a moment of peace before teaching again.

I'll never forget the first time I saw Miriam outside of school--eight years ago?--at Prospect Park with a beautiful little girl at her side. Being me, I ran up to them and introduced myself and met her daughter, Afiya. She must have been 8 or 9 years old. She was lanky, had big, curious eyes, and a shy smile. Afiya has come to school many days with Miriam, and we have all be lucky to watch her grow into an amazing, grounded, confident, and intelligent similar-but-of-course-unique version of Miriam. I know Miriam's greatest love and focus in life was Afiya. I can't stop thinking of her and aching for her.

One of the things that has been touching about Miriam's passing is the response from her old students on Facebook. Teaching is such a thankless job; you never really know how the students feel about you until maybe--years later--you get a random email or friend request from a student who tells you how much you changed their lives. Those moments are rare and beautiful. Reading the students' comments about Miriam this morning demonstrated the love they had for her and the importance of her role as their teacher. Some have changed their profile pictures to her face. They are spreading the word and they, too, are shocked, sad, and aching.

Miriam--we all loved you at Cobble Hill, students and teachers alike. Thank you for staying at the school, year after year, amid many upheavals of teachers and administration; thank you for being so constant and consistent in your demeanor amid the craziness of our building; and thank you for being our friend and part of our family. We will all miss you deeply.

(my lovely coworkers at another coworker's wedding: (L to R) my Assistant Principal; Causha Vann-Innis, the bride; Miriam Perez; Katika Moore (we're still waiting for you to come back, Tika!); Thai Sanders; Akua Henderson-Brown. I was 2 weeks post-partum from Alexandra and not sadly there, but I got many texts from all of them during it!)

10 comments:

  1. From Blaise,
    You will dearly missed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori,
    So sad. We will be praying for her family and especially her daughter Afiya. So sorry you have lost a dear friend. xxxoooo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really will miss you Ms.Perez. I send out my condelences to your family, and may your soul R.I.P. You will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really miss My Sister.We shared a deep spirtual connection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Deepest Sympathy to your family. There are no words to fill the void you sister will leave. So may the prince of peace give you comfort in your time of need. Always Denise Trotter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michael said...

    R.I.P Big Sister May The Essence Guide You Home LOVE YOU ALWAY"S YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN
    Malachi lil Bro. (Mikey)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh god...this is so awful. She really was a good teacher. Her class was one of the few classes that I actually enjoyed. I was kind of a loner in high school, but she was really kind to me. I remember all of the fun projects we worked on, how young we all were. Wow...this is a huge loss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My sincere condolences to all of you that knew and loved her. My family was vacationing in Maui and at the pools when this tragedy struck. We have all been praying for her family, especially her daughter. blessings to you all, Halley

    ReplyDelete
  9. it has been almost three months and the grief and feelings of loss to our school family have not abated. i am still surprised to walk into 212 and not see ms. perez bobbing to music on her ipod. she was a gentle spirit and we were all touched by her in some way. there is a hole in our collective hearts as we somehow keep on keepin' on. we have to stay in touch with afiya because watching her grow into a young woman will not only console us, but also assure us that a piece of ms. perez lives on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Today, I thought about a dear friend of mine. Miriam. Beautiful. Empowered. Sweet. Loving. Considerate. Nurturing. I could go on...

    I wondered what happened to her, where she was in life. We went to Brooklyn College together, interned at Disney Publishing together, and spent an entire week sweating at a daily newspaper for NABJ's annual conference in Washington, D.C together. We were roommates in the hotel (my early morning chattiness thoroughly worked her nerves by Day 6 :))

    I have so many fond memories of our time. We became very close but somehow lost touch. I remember her wanting to make a transition into teaching. She dabbled in drama and wanted to explore the arts from various avenues. After school, Miriam searched for her creative groove, as we all did at that age. So I Googled her and I found this posting....I am floored...beyond words.

    Miriam was so special. Nothing and no one will ever replace her spirit and her energy. I only wish that I made an effort to stay in her life -- but I feel so Blessed to have known her in the brief time that I did.

    To the owner of this blog: Please contact me via email (refinementproductions@gmail.com) when you receive this posting. I would love to speak with you privately. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete