Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Dissertation Diva

A fellow doctoral student sent me a link to this blog today and I'm so thrilled I could do a little jig (if I hadn't had the flu for the past 24 hours and am currently afraid of stirring up the vomit beast that lies within).

I have to say, writing this dissertation is LONELY. I guess i could schlep to Teachers College every day, where I might encounter some other miserable folks or inspiring professors (although a lot of my inspiring professors have since left TC, are on sabbatical, or are on leave)...but TC is over an hour away from my Brooklyn home (2-3 trains) and that = 2-3 hours of daycare time spent commuting. And while I swear I'd work on the subway, it wouldn't happen. The Brooklyn Public Library is way too distracting (the people watching is crazy fun) and too full to concentrate. My local library is full of nannies and babies until around 3pm when infiltrated by tweens who are horridly obnoxious...You see where this is going? I'm relegated to my apt with breaks for yoga and the occasional cardio workout.

I have heard rumor that the diss writing process is lonely, solitary, makes you fat, etc, but I guess I thought I was above that. Wrong.

Oh, dissertation diva. Please save me from languishing in my own data and despair!

Here's hoping this website can be the salvation I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment