Monday, December 22, 2008

Holiday Manifesto



Who-Whatever you believe in, I think we can all agree that Christmas is an out of control holiday of materialism. I'm sitting here stressing that I didn't get my mom a present although the cost of us flying to NC to be with her is absurd and way out of our current budget. Why should I stress? My family (specifically my daughter) is the present, but why do I feel like that's not enough? What does that say about our culture (or maybe just my family...or me?)?

Can we break from the insanity and redefine this gig?

Last night when we exchanged gifts in a late-night rush Adam and I promised each other that next year we're doing a simple Christmas at home. Small tree, homemade gifts, good food, good wine, long winter walks in the park, and whomever wants to come. Simplify it. Anyone is welcome so make your plans now to come to Brooklyn. We'll be happy to have you.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds so lovely! Just think of it as you're rushing through the airport and dealing with family stress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did something really similar this year, and it was good. The crappy stuff we did not buy included for family who were not children. My guess is that adults are big enough to understand. We drove to DC to see family visiting there twice.

    Love the posting about your student who left the sweatshirt during the exam. I am taking a seminar with amy stuart wells and getting all fired up.

    ReplyDelete