Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Hair(s)

Something strange is happening around here.

Since I had baby girl, my hair is totally different. And I don't mean "I-stopped-coloring-it-because-daycare-costs-so-much" different, I mean that ALL BY ITSELF it has changed. Hear me out:

Pre-pregnancy my hair went through many a metamorphosis of colors, but since pregnancy number one I have left the hair dye on the sidelines (crazy the small things you can blame a miscarriage on), therefore I have been 100% au natural since spring of 2006. Osa was born June 2007. I had that gorgeous pregnancy hair--my fine hair literally doubled in thickness but then, around Osa's third month of life, it all fell out. It was like a horror movie--those clumps of hair in "The Grudge" gurgling out the of drain--yeah, THAT much hair. We had to invest in Drano. Even my eyelashes fell out in clumps.

Then this fall my hair got darker. Now I am a rich brown, whereas I was unhappily labeled "dishwater blonde" before. Everyone at work keeps asking if I have dyed my hair. Nope. They ask, "Is it thicker?" Then I started noticing, grabbing it, seeing how many times I could wrap a ponytail holder around my ponytail and yes, it is thicker once again. (No, readers, I am not pregnant, FYI.)

Why? Lately, I have been pulling many a wire-y white hair out. These white hairs are not like my regular hair. They are course, and kinky, and resemble a pubic hair but are long. There's some of the thickness; those imposing white hairs are adding to my mane. Then, a few weekends ago, I looked in the mirror and found a pitch black wire-y kinky full-length hair. I pulled it out and showed my wicked witch hair to Adam. His curt reply, "If all your hair starts to look like that, you'll be gross." Thanks, babe. There's some more thickness and darkness. But how is this happening?

Then last week while Xmas shopping I looked over at Adam and found a 2 inch (no exaggeration) eyebrow hair sticking out perpendicular to his face. It was like a wolf eyebrow; it was so long and thick I thought it was an animal hair of sorts that got stuck in his unibrow, but no, it was 100% his. Looks like we'll be growing old and disgustingly hairy together(and keeping those Russian lady waxers in business).

PS: While writing this post, Adam, unbeknownst to its content, came over and showed me a five of his crazy long nose hairs he just pulled out. Hawt.

1 comment:

  1. I've experienced the same thing, both with color and texture!

    I had always prided myself on not coloring my hair before (the combination of chlorine and sun did that for me) but two months ago I decided to lighten things up a bit. I love it but I've noticed even more wiry hairs. They are so random and, as you put it, witchlike!

    Oh, the children. They do change us.

    ReplyDelete