Sunday, July 13, 2008

weaning



alexandra is not happy about weaning.
i am ready to wean her.
my midwife told me at my annual last week that breastfeeding should be an agreement between mother and child, and when the mother is done mentally she should wean. she also gave me great advice on how to wean, my favorite piece being to go out of town for the weekend (to which i replied, "without the baby?!") to dry my milk up. she said to go stay at a hotel and sleep in and drink mixed drinks. sounds glorious, huh?

but alexandra loves the tit. she has been fighting for it this week more than normal. she is just about to walk (so close!) and cutting more teeth, so i'm sure she just wants the comfort, but i cant' help but fear that she'll be wanting to nurse at 8years old, like in this video.

i'm very much pro-breastfeeding, but i have to say that i believe 8 years old is a bit too old to still be on the tit, even if breastmilk is "sweeter than mangos" and the kids would "rather have breastmilk than a million melons!"

No comments:

Post a Comment