Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Nico is One































My baby boy turned one on September 22nd.

The births of my children punctuate the school year. Alexandra's birthday falls on one of my last days of work before summer break; Nico's birthday is nestled into the first three weeks of back to school/work insanity. I guess I could have planned that better, knowing that both of those times are professional moments when I'm pretty stressed out, but the one thing having kids has taught me is that while I am forming the most beautiful and best-laid plans in my head (and often, even in illustrated spreadsheets on paper) their little bodies have plans of their own that will, inevitably, overthrow my plans in a skinny minute. But that's not always a bad thing.

Nothing speaks more loudly to this than my accidental/surprise pregnancy that produced Nico. When I peed on the stick that told me I was pregnant, I wept. I was NOT happy. When I found out we were having a boy, I was NOT happy. For about half of my pregnancy with him I was feeling nothing in terms of bonding with the baby. Actually, that was probably more than half of my pregnancy. Even when I was in labor, I was wishing Nico would come out as a girl. And while I, of course, took exquisite care of myself and Nico internally while pregnant, I could not help but constantly think about how this child had derailed my plans for my doctorate work, my job, our finances, etc.

And then he came out, and none of that mattered.

As corny as it sounds, the minute I met Nico all those feelings instantly evaporated. I was so happy he was a boy, and I continue to feel that way every minute of every day. I love having a son; it's different than having a daughter in ways I can't even explain that are so beautiful and intense and powerful. Nico's radiant personality and easy going self and infectious smile have made our small hill of debt because of double daycare more than worthwhile. He has brought such a richness and balance to our family that he'd be worth any unforeseen challenge or change we'd have to make b/c of life with 2 kids 2 years apart. I look at him and just think of how lucky we are to have him in our lives.

I still have moments of maternal guilt over the lack of enthusiasm I had for his creation and gestation; I'm not sure I'll ever fully forgive myself for those feelings. But Nico is the best unplanned event in my life, and, in a lot of ways, his arrival showed me that planning isn't always the best way to go.

3 comments:

  1. You couldn't have written that more beautifully. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He really is the most precious little thing. In those 3 days I got to spend with you/him in NY, I fell in love. I still think about his beautiful eyes and sweet little face.

    ReplyDelete