Thursday, September 9, 2010

First Day. Dammit.

Back to work this week. Got up on Tuesday and Alexandra was particularly peeved with my sense of purpose to the morning, especially that I didn't have time read to her or put her baby's diaper on, or dance with her to Michael Jackson. The world knows I am not, nor have I EVER been, a morning person. My mom says that I used to sleep so late as a baby that she'd come in to make sure I was still breathing (why neither of my children inherited that gene is plain sad). Therefore, when I have to wake early, I am not to be bothered. I am cranky, focused, and my mind is already in the classroom.

So, this week was hard for her As much as I tried to pull myself out of my myopic "Must get to work on time" mode, it wasn't enough for her. And the fact that I leave between 7:15-7:30 (they leave right before 8) got her all upset. Each day I left to her crying for me. As all mothers know--NOT the best way to start a day.

I have been trying to spend more time with her in the evenings to compensate. Nico just stopped his morning nap and only takes an afternoon nap, therefore he's exhausted and in bed by 7, leaving Alexandra to me & daddy for an hour. That's good for her. She's not happy with our new schedule in the morning, as evidenced by this conversation:

Setting: me tucking her into bed.

Alexandra: I missed you this morning, Mommy.
Me: I missed you, too, honey. But Mommy has to go to work now. School started and mommy's a teacher, so I have to go teach.

Pause.

Alexandra: Dammit.
Me: What?
Alexandra: Dammit.
Me: You mean, slam it?
Alexandra: No, I said "dammit" and I mean "dammit."
Me: Goodnight, honey.

Dammit pretty much summarizes how I feel about the summer being over, too, but sheesh. I guess a mommy with a salty mouth = a baby girl with one, too. Crazy thing is, I don't really say "dammit." Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment