Thursday, February 19, 2009

Take Two


I think I didn't post as much in January because I was harbouring a secret from the world. If you know me, you know secrets are not my forte. If you have a REAL secret, I can keep it. But other than that, I just can't. I love sharing information; I think a lot of us benefit from each others' stories, experiences, sorrows, joys...I don't share with the world at large (blog, facebook), but I'll tell a few friends who I feel will really connect with whatever you said. And they do (connect, that is). At least I have good judgment in that respect.

So, when I peed on the stick on day 34 of my cycle and it unexpectedly produced a positive, after I ran to Adam in the shower sobbing (for various reasons), I just wanted to tell my close girlfriends b/c I knew they could talk me off the ledge--and they did. By the end of the day, I was feeling much more grounded, after a day of space-y teaching in which many times my students had to ask, "Miss, are you okay?"and I mumbled that I was fine, that the baby was just up half the night (which she was) and I was tired (which I was). Not lies, but not the real truth, either.

With my circle of friends in the know, I then somewhat guarded the information. After our miscarriage in May 06, I have been more reserved about to whom I reveal pregnancy information. You can't even believe the stupid shit people said to me after we miscarried--things like, "Well, now you won't have a baby with two heads!" or "It probably would have been retarded" and the list goes on. They had good intentions, I believe, but I wanted to punch them...or hand them a card that said: THAT IS NOT WHAT YOU SHOULD SAY TO A WOMAN WHO JUST MISCARRIED.

And I kinda thought that after having had a successful pregnancy, and after getting pregnant on total accident, that I'd be able to float through this pregnancy worry-free. Nope. There is something about miscarrying that continues to haunt me. And even though I didn't want to be pregnant now, the last thing I want now is not to be pregnant. I have had nightmares--the whole works.

But we had our ultrasound yesterday where we saw our tiny dancer doing a jig on the screen, little limbs flailing around, alien head bopping, placenta, cord, heartbeat = check. I am 9 weeks along, and now the chance of miscarriage is down to less than 5%, so I figured I could take a gamble and post.

We have NO plans for more than two kids (and are currently investigating better birth control options!), so I'm really trying to embrace/enjoy this as much as possible.

Feels good to get that information out into the world. Now I can start blogging about what I'm really thinking about...

(ps: Sorry for the pee-stained pregnancy test photo. I kept that test on my desk for WEEKS trying to convince myself I was really pregnant, and by the time I took a photo of it, it was, well, aged!)

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! Such happy news. Glad to hear the ultrasound was all good. Now you've REALLY got to write this semester. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Having two is the BEST. Exhausting at first, but you'll never look back. I know we dont' really know each other, but yet, I am SO excited/happy for you. Keep us posted, and feel well. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so happy for the great ultrasound! after all my miscarriages, the single worst position i've ever been in was at that first ultrasound of each pregnancy as we waited for the image to come up on the screen and put our fears to rest. now that that's behind you, i hope you can relax and enjoy the ride. congratulations! hugs, sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!! I am so happy for you. I totally understand you wanting to wait a bit. Wonderful news!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2 dried cherry, animal cracker, lemon waters coming up :)

    xoxo. jen

    ReplyDelete