Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Random longing...


This is my first week on sabbatical. Yesterday I went to the dentist, ran errands, got a mani-pedi, and worked out. Today I cleaned/organized my desk and files. I have yet to do anything truly academic. Oh--forgot to mention--the purpose of this sabbatical is to write my dissertation and to get this beastly doctorate off my back.

Yesterday, when walking down Fifth Avenue in Park Slope I had the star sighting I have been waiting for: Maggie Gyllenhaal. Well, actually, it would be the star sighting my husband has been waiting for since he adores her, but since rumor had it that her and family had moved into the Slope I have been itching for evidence.

The sighting was so non-descript; she was talking down the snowy street with her dad who was pushing toddler Ramona in a Maclaren stroller like everyone else. She was wearing a black puffy coat like everyone else. They looked so nice and normal, and she is really quite pretty in person, much moreso than in photos. She seems like that friend that you kinda hate because she looks better without make-up...

But what lingered with me throughout the day wasn't the Maggie-factor, but the act of her walking down the snowy street with her dad. Whenever I see people my age with their fathers I get jealous. And sad. I can't help it. Even if my dad were around, he wouldn't be up here walking Alexandra, but maybe if he'd had a whole different life, with different health, that maybe could have been a reality. I really wish it had.

(no photos of Maggie and dad on the www, had to settle for mom)

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, I now know exactly how you feel. It sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I totally hear you. Sometimes my jealousy takes really ugly forms, too: I often find myself wanting to walk up to some high school girl who is giving her mom attitude, shake her by the shoulders, and scream at her to show some respect because she'll regret this behavior one day! I think I'm gonna be that lady . . .

    Anyway, I feel for you.

    ReplyDelete