Monday, February 2, 2009

Baby Sagging & other Fashion Issues


Alexandra was given a pair of super-cute jeans from her auntie and uncle for Christmas (we just did Christmas Deux this past weekend, hence the timeliness of this post). We have never bought her a pair of jeans b/c from the few hand-me-down pairs we got from our niece it seemed that baby girl jeans are just too skinny for our chunky monkey, but I was willing to give these jeans a chance. Babies in jeans are just too cute.

But instead of being cute, Alexandra resembled the male population of my high school--she was bustin' a sag all day long with her diaper, at times in it's entirity, popping out of her jeans. We went to the playground today after I picked her up from daycare and the poor child couldn't move! She'd trip, or try to climb a steep step, and she literally could not lift her leg b/c her jeans were sagging down so low and they are so narrow/skinny. What is up with that?!

I am constantly amazed at how different little girl clothes are compared to little boy clothes. Boy clothes are so baggy, girl clothes are much tighter. At this phase of life, there really isn't too much of a physical difference, so why are the clothes for littel girls already so suggestive? My friend Amy lamented last spring on how her 7 year old daughter was embarassed b/c her jeans came down so low (= low enough to create a piggy bank slot, ie: a bit of butt-crack showage) and her little girl panties rode up over her jeans. She wanted her mom to buy her bikini panties instead! SEVEN YEARS OLD!? WTF?!

Why do clothing manufacturers make clothes for children so their butt-cracks peek out? I mean, shoot, it's one thing if J-Lo wants a whale tail (thong visible from jeans) or if Brittney Spears chooses to let her crack (and other areas) become familiar territory to half the world, but for a little girl? Sick. What sort of perverts are designing children's clothes?

I get scared of what sorts of fashion debacles I'll have to navigate with Alexandra as the years go by. I have heard urban legend that when the boys wear those skinny jeans sagging (belted at their upper thigh so that their entire bum hangs out and their boxers advertise their personality to the world at large), that they can't run from the cops as fast, and I witnessed that with Alexandra today! The poor baby could barely move! Our friend Dave did his medical internship at Coney Island Hospital and an array of teen girls came in complaining of tingling in their legs and lack of circulation to their feet; it was determined that their too tight jeans (and, hence, muffin tops) were cutting off blood circulation to their legs! Insanity!

So, I hate to say it, but I think baby jeans are out for us. Someday Alexandra will certainly squeeze herself into some ungodly pair of jeans, but until then I'll maintain her ability to move in leggings.

1 comment:

  1. tight jeans for baby girls . . . now that is the height of creepy.

    i just wish i could find a pair of jeans for ME that wasn't so tight - could have something to do with my refusal to try on pants in my actual (expanded) size. blah.

    ReplyDelete