Friday, September 26, 2008

shameless marketing

i have been at ikea a lot lately.
i am such the evident marketing demographic that it is actually a trifle embarassing. I almost want to disguise myself when i go there so that the ikea secret agents that roam the store or watch me on video camera as i agonize over a beige or olive throw pillow won't feel so smug in their effectiveness.

here is how i know they're out to get me--the music.

in my last two trips to ikea, it is as if they have hijacked all my mix tapes from high school. remember those? mix tapes. so beloved. i have held onto a few of mine; they were representative of so much effort! and it was as if ikea found them and broadcast them, on a low-medium volume, throughout the whole store.

some highlights:
"in between days" the cure
"lips like sugar" echo and the bunnymen
"hysteria" def leppard
"bizarre love triangle" new order
"i want candy" ?
"get outta my dreams, get into my car" ?
"patience" guns and roses
"enjoy the silence" depeche mode

IKEA!!!!!!!! i hate you for having me so figured out! you make me feel so unoriginal, especially when i am surrounded by other 30-somethings all singing under our breath, pushing our strangely-named cheap furniture around. dammit ikea! you're too good at what you do. you win. now give me my svan chair and billy bookshelves and let me take the free shuttle bus home in peace (minus that cure song now stuck in my head).

No comments:

Post a Comment