Tuesday, February 12, 2008

blue eyes brown eyes

Part of my research is doing auto-ethnography in the Advanced Placement English class I am teaching. This is my second year teaching this class, and right now we're doing what was my most successful unit last year, the unit on race. We have talked and read about race as a biological versus socio-cultural construct, how language promotes these constructions, and this week we're doing the psychological effects of racism and discrimination. I feel that Black History month gets bogged down with lip-service repeat readings of "I Have a Dream" and "And Still I Rise" (Disclaimer! Both very important texts, just very overused...), but this unit really gets the students thinking critically about race in America and in their lives.

I'm attaching a few links to the videos we have watched in class. If you know of any others, please let me know. We have awesome Smartboards in our school now, so I can show streaming video in my class. Woot!

Dave Chappelle skit "The Niggar Family"

Jane Elliot's Blue Eye Brown Eye experiment in her 3rd grade class

Kiri Davis's film "A Girl Like Me" in which she redoes the Clark Doll Experiments in NYC

"Slip of the Tongue"--a film on ethnicity and identity (click on number 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment