Monday, May 3, 2010

Haus Frau

Years ago I bought a linen dress from Old Navy. It was olive green (my favorite color for clothes) and fit me at the time, then I lost a bunch of weight and it was too big and tent like to wear in public so I made it my house dress. Much like the little old ladies who wear house dresses, I wore my linen dress around the house when it was too hot to wear clothes that touched me. I wore it bra-less, panty-less, and just sweat in it until it stank and then I would toss it in the wash, hang it back on my closet like a robe, and wear it again until it became rancid.

Fast forward about five years. The house dress (which became lovingly referred to as my haus frau dress) is tucked into my bin of SKINNY clothes. It's stored in a bin in the basement of my neighbor's apartment b/c they are kind and generous folks with a finished basement space not dank and dusty and buggy like our unfinished storage. But it hit 90 degrees this weekend in NYC (WTHades?) and clothes were too much. I had to christen a new haus frau dress.

It's a nursing dress by the company Boob (great stuff). It was adorable when I was pregnant, but now I look like a lumpy sausage in it. But shoot, it can be a haus frau dress. It has the ability for my boobs to come out to nurse, it's long enough not to flash too much leg or girl parts to my family, and it is a dark enough color to wear sans underclothes.

Ahhhh, sweet relief. Those little old ladies got something going on with their haus frau dresses. Try it--you'll like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment