Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Overheard in the Classroom

I have to write this before I forget it:

Last Friday, the bell was about to ring and the lesson was over. The students were chatting by the window and I was getting a standardized test ready for the next period when I overheard a tidbit of incorrect sex info. Of course, I pounced on it. I asked the students (9th grade girls) what they were talking about. One brazen one said,

"Miss, if your boyfriend comes in you and you stand up immediately and go to take a pee, then you won't get pregnant."

And THIS is why we have six. pregnant. freshmen. S-I-X.

I stopped the whole class and clarified that your urethra, where your pee comes out of, is a DIFFERENT hole from your vagina, where you have sex. Therefore peeing does NOTHING to "wash away the sperm" (as another student mentioned) and prevent pregnancy.

Their response: "No, Miss, you're wrong."

God help the children of those children.

1 comment:

  1. OMG, in the ninth grade? How is that even possible? Perhaps the school should distribute hand-held mirrors.

    ReplyDelete