Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Updos for Obama




I have never before donated money to a political campaign nor have I ever attended a political fundraiser, so Saturday night's festivities were a first for me. My fabulous hairdresser suggested the Updos idea back in September, after the RNC, when Sarah Palin seemed to be lighting the GOP on fuego and we were all terrified. Thankfully (and hopefully), it seems like things have taken a turn for the better, but we gathered regardless in our attempt to be ever vigilant.

The premise was to come and pay $75, get your hair done in one of three Palin-inspired updos (the maverick, the reformer, or the huntress), drink wine, eat cookies made from scratch, hear some good music and writing---all the money goes to the Obama campaign. The best Sarah Palin won a basket of goodies (hair products, gift certificates from local venues, and a free haircut!), and I WON!

Now, let me be the first to admit that I was not the best Palin look alike. Yvonne, my runner up, had her cheekbones and jaw line and physically looked more like Palin. So much that some teens who obviously didn't understand irony came in, handed her a plastic moose,and thought she was the REAL Sarah Palin. But ladies and gents, this is story about props.

My costume = business attire, Republican pearls, a baby bjorn with Trig (baby doll) in it, a recorder (flute unavailable), my Bible (with passages conveniently marked about women being silent and the apocalypse from my undergrad papers), God stickers for my fans, binoculars and a map of Russia. It was a lot of work carrying all this crap around--especially while drinking vino. But in the end, it came down to a rough and tough game of paper:scissors:rock which sealed my victory.

Overall, what a hilarious night. Almost $2000 raised for the campaign. Woot!

2 comments:

  1. You have become a favorite in my family (parents, sister, and brother-in-laws!) We spent 20 minutes talking about you tonight and my mom is off to her hairdresser to propose an "updo for Obama" night. 10 days! And I'm in Virginia!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/31/42/31_42_politicrasher.html

    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/galleries/updos_for_obama/updos_for_obama.html

    copy us! anything for the campaign...i'm so nervous i could puke at times...hesitant to have real hope that this could happen, you know? if you're on facebook, friend me and you'll have access to the tons of photos from that night. it was so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete